The Importance of Having an Emergency Kit
Did you know that that “each year, one in three motorists encounters a roadside breakdown or some other incident that prevents normal vehicle operation, such as a dead battery or a flat tire”?
“Real Life” Example: Brian and Mario are friends. They are both driving to the same wedding when each of their car’s break down. Brian’s car’s battery died and he is unable to reach anyone because he forgot to charge his phone before leaving. He checks his trunk and realizes that he never thought of keeping any sort of equipment in his car. Mario’s car has a flat tire but luckily for Mario he has always been prepared. Mario has kept an emergency kit in his car ever since he could remember. Mario is quick to fix his tire and continue on his way. On his way to the wedding he encounters Brian, who is still waiting for someone to stop. Mario laughs at Brian and drives on, knowing that it will be him dancing with the bride’s sister. Be like Mario.
Truth is you never know when something is going to happen to your car. Having a roadside emergency kit can be the deciding factor between being stuck with a flat tire, or driving on to your destination.
You can buy a premade emergency kit or pack one yourself.
Here are some recommended items to keep in mind while packing:
- Roadside flares/or reflective cones: to alert oncoming traffic.
- General first aid kit: always a must.
- 2 quarts of oil
- Jumper cables
- Brake fluid
- Flashlight with spare batteries
- Adjustable wrench
- Tire inflator
- Pressure gauge
- Rags, duct tape
- A funnel
- Paper towels
- Pocket knife
- Granola/energy bars
- Bottled water
- A really handy tool people in movies that are trapped in sinking cars wished they had? A Seatbelt Cutter/Window Breaker Escape Tool!
If you would rather buy a prepared kit we’ve found some great options that range in amount of utilities and $$.
|AAA 42 Piece Emergency Road Assistance Kit||Priced at $23.62
Buy it at Amazon
|Performance Tool W1555 Deluxe Roadside Assistance Kit||Priced at $33.75
Buy it on Amazon.
|Mayday AA01 Urban Road Warrior||Priced at $71.99
Buy it on Amazon.
Something else that is equally important? Knowing how to use the tools you have! Make sure that you know how to use everything in your kit before setting out on the road.
Just a reminder: Have common-sense
- Move your car completely off the road
- DO NOT stand near the edge of the road/highway while working on your vehicle. Please just don’t.
- Use your flashers to signal that you need help.
- Set out your flares/cones
- Stay inside your vehicle with the doors locked and the windows rolled up
- And DO NOT accept rides from passing motorists, remember stranger danger.
Of course, in case of an emergency occurring having a roadside assistance plan is always a benefit! Feel free to use our price comparison tool to see what options are available to you.