Massage Therapy Liability Insurance
If you are a massage therapy professional or an RMT, Massage Liability Insurance is necessary to protect you from claims of injury to patients due to alleged negligence or injury.
PARTNERSHIPS WITH OVER 20 LEADING AMERICAN INSURANCE PROVIDERS
Insurance for massage therapists
Without people like you, the world would be a bigger pain in the neck – so thank you.
Massage therapists and holistic health practitioners are a force for wellness, yet sometimes, things do not always go so well. When your business includes managing another person’s health and wellness, there is always an element of risk involved.
Fortunately, there’s insurance for that.
Zensurance has your back like you got your client’s backs. Receiving a lawsuit is one thing, but there can also be damages to your reputation that can cost your business long-term.
What is massage therapy liability insurance?
Massage therapy liability insurance is a specialized policy package designed for registered massage therapists and clinics that provides financial protection against lawsuits alleging negligence or errors and omissions that resulted in damages, losses, or bodily injury to their patients.
Having insurance coverage can help you relax while you help others too. When you are covered for unforeseen accidents that may lie ahead, you can simply focus on your client’s needs.
What does it cover?
Generally, a comprehensive liability insurance package for massage therapists includes the following coverages:
- Professional Liability Insurance is also known as massage malpractice insurance, protects RMTs against claims alleging negligence or errors and omissions. You are vulnerable whenever a client could be negatively impacted or unsatisfied by the services provided by your business. It can be hard to discern who is at fault, but you will have to deal with any lawsuits despite how careful you are. Professional Liability Insurance provides another layer of security in cases where a waiver fails to protect you in a court of law.
These are the common types of negligence claims that are generally covered Failure to attend to a patient
- Failure in diagnosis
- Failure in referral or consultation
- Failure to protect or warn third parties
- Substandard treatment
- Commercial General Liability Insurance (CGL) provides financial protection against legal claims of third-party injuries and property damages caused by accidents not directly from the service provided. If one of your patients gets injured (i.e. slip and fall) on your business premise and sues, a CGL policy may cover any legal defence and settlement fees (up to policy limits) of the lawsuit. If you operate a clinic at a physical location and provide virtual services, CGL is essential coverage to have for your business.
- Cyber Liability Insurance offers financial protection in the event of a cyber-attack or data breach against your business’s electronic data. This policy includes both First-party (i.e. ransoms, network repair) and Third-party (i.e. attorney fees) coverages. This coverage is highly recommended for therapists that store clients’ private information, such as medical and financial records.
- Commercial Property Insurance protects your business’s property and assets in the event of an unnatural disaster caused by fire, theft or vandalism. This property coverage extends to larger assets like physical buildings, clinics, and smaller items like tables, chairs, and other furnishings. Massage therapists who own or lease a building to operate their business should highly consider getting commercial property insurance.
How much does it cost?
The cost of a Massage Therapy Liability Insurance package starts around $350 per year, which includes both Commercial General Liability and Professional Liability policies with a separate coverage limit of $3M.
The total cost of your policy may depend on the following list of factors:
- Operation Size (individual vs. clinic)
- Level of Experience (certifications and designations)
- Past Claims
Our partnerships with over fifty insurance providers across Canada allow you to select different coverage options that suit your business needs at the best price.
In addition to their primary modality, massage therapy clinics often offer complimentary techniques or services for their patients. For example, an Ayurvedic massage therapist may also use sound healing or a Thai massage therapist who also incorporates acupuncture at the beginning of their massage.
It is critical to disclose information about all services that you provide to the insurance broker so that the policy covers your whole business. Whether you are a private provider or operate a commercial clinic, there is a unique risk profile and may need additional coverage if you offer multiple services.
Other health and wellness professions we insure:
- Home Health Care
- Health/Medical Clinic
- Pet Service
- Reiki Practitioner
- Yoga Teacher
Common claims scenarios
Problem: After a massage therapy session, the client claimed that your services exacerbated their existing injury and sued you for malpractice.
Outcome: Your Professional Liability Insurance policy could cover the $50,000 lawsuit against your business.
Problem: A patient tripped over the massage table and broke their wrist due to the fall.
Outcome: Your Commercial General Liability Insurance policy could cover the medical and legal fees, totalling $32,000
Problem: A fire broke out in your massage therapy clinic, causing significant damages to the building and equipment.
Outcome: Your Commercial Property Insurance policy could cover the $100,000 cost to repair the damaged assets.
Our most recent reviews
See for yourself what customers have to say about us.
Ready to start? Let’s get a quote!
Whether you are looking for a better rate or this is your first-year practicing massage therapy, our online insurance application is a simple and hassle-free way to begin.